History of Reynolds
The U.S. Army Medical Department Activity traces its beginning to January 1869, when the Fort was occupied as a base of operations, against the Indians by General Sheridan. Basic field medical care was provided in tents to the troopers of the 10th United States Cavalry.
A permanent 24-bed Post Hospital was completed in March 1875. The building consisted of a central two-story administration block and mess, with ward wings to its east and west, and an observation tower above.
In 1889, an Apache Prisoner-of-War Hospital was constructed at the rear of the Post Hospital. It was the first general Indian Hospital established in Oklahoma. The famous Apache Chief Geronimo died there of pneumonia on 17 February 1909. The building was used as an Indian Hospital until 1914.
A 36-bed ward was added to the west end of the hospital in 1913, raising its capacity to 60 beds. During WWI, a complete, temporary hospital of 500 beds with 10 wards was constructed around the Post Hospital. After the war, the temporary hospital was demolished in 1918. An additional hospital ward and specialized clinics were added to the east in 1925.
As a result of Fort Sill being designated the permanent home of the Field Artillery School, extensive additions were begun on the hospital. An administrative building, nurses' quarters, and the medical detachment barracks were completed by 1936. These buildings are still in use today.
During WWII, it again became necessary to expand the hospital, and in 1941, a cantonment type "Annex Hospital" was constructed near Gate 2. It gave the Post Hospital an additional 1200 bed capacity. The "temporary" annex continued in partial use as a medical facility for many years past its planned life.
Construction of a 250-bed hospital was begun in July 1962. That hospital, building 4700, was dedicated on 7 October 1965 in honor of Major General Charles Ransom Reynolds. It replaced two facilities, the cantonment hospital near Gate 2 and the main hospital across from McNair Hall.
In September 1986, construction of phase 1 of a new replacement facility began. The 212,000 square foot Administration and Outpatient Clinic, was opened on 20 June 1989.
Phase II construction began in January 1990. Phase II consists of an ancillary support building and the in-patient tower designed to accommodate 157 operating beds and to expand to 247 beds during mobilization. The completed replacement facility was rededicated on 13 May 1994.