Guidance for Family Members of Deployed Soldiers
When your sponsor deploys, you have several health care options:
- Remain at your current location to wait the return of your sponsor.
- Leave the local area for:
- A short period of time (normally 30 days or less)
- A longer period of time (normally greater than 30 days)
Important Points to Consider:
- Remaining at your current location: TRICARE benefits remain the same.
- Leaving the local area for less than 30 days:
- Leave your Prime or TRICARE Prime Remote for Active Duty Family Members (TPRADFM) enrollment intact.
- Routine care: You must wait until you return to the local area.
- Urgent care requires a call to your Health Care Finder or primary care provider at your enrollment site to request preauthorization for that care.
- Emergency care: Preauthorization is not required for emergency care, although your primary care provider should be notified of any emergency care you receive as soon as possible. If you have difficulty contacting your provider, call 1-888-DoD Care (1-888-363-2273).
- Leaving the local area for more than 30 days:
- Going to a location where Prime is available: Transfer your Prime enrollment to a provider where you are temporarily relocated.
- Going to a location where Prime is not available: Disenroll from TRICARE Prime or TRICARE Prime Remote for Active Duty Family members use TRICARE Standard/Extra.
- Visit or call a Health Care Finder at the closest TRICARE Service Center or the Beneficiary Counseling and Assistance Coordinator at the closest military treatment facility to seek advice and information about how to access care at your temporary location away from home.
- If your temporary residence is far from an MTF, TRICARE Standard/ Extra may be more responsive to your needs.
- Deductibles and cost shares will apply, but the convenience of using a local provider may prove to be the best option.
- Once you return to your home station, you are subject to being locked out of Prime for one year. During this time, you would continue to use either TRICARE Standard or Extra.
TRICARE Prime Remote
TRICARE Prime Remote for Active Duty Family Members is an option for family members who resided with a TRICARE Prime Remote-eligible sponsor before the sponsor left their home station, mobilization site, or deployment location, if the family member continues to reside there. If they relocate to another remote area while their sponsor is deployed, they should plan to use TRICARE Standard/Extra.
To quality for TRICARE Prime Remote for Active Duty Family Members, family members of activated Reservists must reside with the sponsor in a TRICARE Prime Remote zip code at the time of mobilization. The sponsor need not be TRICARE Prime Remote- eligible.
TRICARE Dental Plan (TDP)
If you, as an Active Duty family member, are enrolled in the TRICARE Dental Plan, you may continue your enrollment and use dentists in the area where you are temporarily relocating.
Visit the TDP website
More information about TRICARE Benefits